Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 large marshmallows, halved
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and milk. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Place half of a marshmallow on each cookie; bake 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and press marshmallows down with a fork. Cool. Meanwhile, for frosting, in a large bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa, butter and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Pipe onto cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 169 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 113mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 24, 2015
I have made these for years. They are always a favorite. I have always used cake flour for this recipe. Comes out great.
Mar 15, 2015
Very good. A real favorite.
Feb 7, 2014
Thought I would make these for an afterschool treat for the kids today! They were very easy! I liked when you have to push down the marshmallow when it is hot! I need to work on my frosting as it didn't turn out as nice as this picture but hey the kids didn't mind! I wouldn't change a thing!