Cocoa-Crusted Beef Tenderloin
My family and I have cooking competitions with secret ingredients and a 30-minute time limit. This tenderloin recipe earned me a sweet victory. — Gina Myers, Spokane, Washington
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (1-1/2 inches thick and 6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons finely ground coffee
- Preheat broiler. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, mix cocoa and coffee. Dip steaks in cocoa mixture to coat all sides; shake off excess.
- Place steaks on a rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3-4 in. from heat 9-11 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
Nutrition Facts1 steak: 252 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat.
Originally published as 30-Minute Beef Tenderloin Extravaganza in Taste of Home February/March 2014
Feb 2, 2014
Watch this carefully. The cocoa mix caught fire with the broiler on high so turned it down to low broiler.Tried it with venison Turned out fine, interesting taste but was not a family hit.