Cocoa Butter Sticks
My mom has been making these delectable, melt-in-your mouth cookies at Christmastime for as long as I can remember. Their wonderful cocoa flavor and crisp chewy texture make them a stand out on any cookie tray. —Rebecca Wilson, Longmont, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Divide dough into four portions. On ungreased baking sheets, roll each portion into an 8-in. x 1-in. log. Flatten with a fork dipped in flour to 1/4-in. thickness. Whisk egg and water; brush over dough. Combine almonds and sugar; sprinkle over tops. Bake at 350° for 10-14 minutes or until set.
- Place pans on wire racks. When cool enough to handle, transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 3/4-in. slices. Turn cookies over and place back onto baking sheets. Bake 5 minutes longer to crisp bottoms. Cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.