Cocoa-Almond Meringue Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking cocoa, divided
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the extracts, cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold in 1/4 cup cocoa. Place mixture in a pastry or heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in the corner of bag. Pipe meringue in 2-in. circles onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 50-60 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven; leave cookies in oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- Dust cookies with remaining cocoa. Carefully remove from parchment paper. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 26 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 14mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 26, 2013
I'm about to make these for the second time. They were such a hit the first time I made them that I've gotten requests to make them again. It seems to be a tasty healthy-type cookie for my diabetic friends. They LOVE them! (I say 'them' because I myself being picky do not like the ingredients)
Dec 24, 2011
I suggest sifting the cocoa before adding. The first time I made them it clumped up while piping the cookies out.