Cocoa-Almond Meringue Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon baking cocoa, divided
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add the extracts, cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold in 1/4 cup cocoa. Place mixture in a pastry bag; cut a small hole in the corner of bag. Pipe meringue in 2-in. circles onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 50-60 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven; leave cookies in oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- Dust cookies with remaining cocoa. Carefully remove from parchment. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 26 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 14mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 26, 2013
I'm about to make these for the second time. They were such a hit the first time I made them that I've gotten requests to make them again. It seems to be a tasty healthy-type cookie for my diabetic friends. They LOVE them! (I say 'them' because I myself being picky do not like the ingredients)
Dec 24, 2011
I suggest sifting the cocoa before adding. The first time I made them it clumped up while piping the cookies out.