Cocktail Cheese Crackers
My homemade crackers are a breeze to put together and store. For a change of pace, I substitute cheddar cheese for the Swiss. —Johnna Johnson, Scottsdale, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- Optional toppings: poppy seeds, sesame seeds, caraway seeds and dried minced onion
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, whisk together first five ingredients; stir in cheeses. Cut in butter until crumbly. Whisk together egg and cream; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently just until combined, about 10 times. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion into a 12x10-in. rectangle; cut into 2-in. squares. Pierce with a fork. Place 2-in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and milk; brush over tops. If desired, sprinkle with choice of toppings.
- Bake until golden brown, 9-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cracker: 48 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 84mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Cocktail Cheese Crackers in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018