Total TimePrep/Total Time: 40 min.
Makes6 servings (1-1/4 cups dressing)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6-1/2 cups torn romaine
- 2-1/2 cups torn curly endive
- 1 bunch watercress (4 ounces), trimmed, divided
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue or Roquefort cheese
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- In a blender, combine the first 8 ingredients. While processing, gradually add canola and olive oils in a steady stream.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, endive and half of the watercress; toss lightly. Transfer to a serving platter. Arrange the chicken, tomatoes, avocado, eggs, cheese and bacon over the greens; sprinkle with chives. Top with remaining watercress. Cover and chill until serving.
- To serve, drizzle 1 cup dressing over salad. Serve with remaining dressing if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 575 calories, 52g fat (8g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 1171mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 20g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 1, 2019
This is a very good dinner salad. The dressing is great and not to vinegar forward which I like. Relatively easy to put together with the available mixed greens you can buy. Even hubby was happy with this for dinner and it does fill you up. I will be making this one often.
Aug 9, 2015
This was great! We really enjoyed it!
May 16, 2014
Cobb is my favorite salad. I add extra blue cheese and use blue cheese salad dressing.
Mar 30, 2014
One of my favorite salads. The dressing is light and tasty. Exactly what the cobb salad dressing should be. I added a bit of green onion to mine but otherwise it was just the same.
Mar 30, 2014
I love Cobb Salad and this is a good one. The dressing is wonderful! I have been making the dressing since it was first published. It tastes great on any salad. A keeper!
May 25, 2013
Very pretty salad. I have made it several times. It is very good.
Feb 7, 2013
This was the best cobb salad I have ever had. The dressing was amazing everything went together great.
Oct 28, 2012
Great dressing and good solid recipe! I served this as a build your own salad, and my kids enjoyed creating their own versions. Wonderful way to get my kids interested in trying to new things, and eating more salad!
Jul 15, 2012
This was delicious. I didn't have avocado, so I left it out and subbed in balsamic vinegar for the red wine vinegar.
Jun 24, 2012
OH MY GOSH What a great Salad..my family loved it and I didnt even have the Avacado..wonderful salad..