Golfers can work up a healthy appetite during a round! So in planning the menu for a golf theme party my husband and I hosted, I served this tasty and hearty skillet meal. The easy-to-fix main dish is a tried-and-true favorite from my recipe file. -Sue Ann O'Buck, Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown chicken on both sides in oil. Stir in the tomatoes, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, water, Italian seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. Combine the flour and cold water until smooth; stir into tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve chicken and sauce over rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 210 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Clubhouse Chicken in Taste of Home April/May 2002