Throwing a children's party can be a real circus if you serve the colorful clown cupcakes our Test Kitchen created. Set up a cupcake decorating table and let the kids make funny faces with their favorite candies.
Recommended: 30 Creative Birthday Cakes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) vanilla frosting, divided
- Yellow, red and blue paste food coloring
- 24 ice cream sugar cones
- Assorted candies: M&M's miniature baking bits, red shoestring licorice and cherry sour ball candies
- Prepare and bake cake batter according to package directions for cupcakes. Cool completely on wire racks. Divide two cans of frosting among three bowls; tint with yellow, red and blue food coloring.
- For clown hats, use a serrated knife or kitchen scissors to cut 2 in. from the open end of each cone. Frost cones with tinted frosting; decorate with baking bits. Place on waxed paper for 30 minutes or until frosting is set.
- Frost cupcakes with remaining vanilla frosting. Leaving room for the hat on each cupcake, make a clown face and hair with candies. Pipe a matching ruffle on each. Carefully position a hat on each cupcake. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Clown Cupcakes in Country Woman June/July 2008, p28
Reviews forClown Cupcakes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2015
"This is a very cute recipe!"