Clove Apple Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- CUSTARD SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional ground cloves, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter, sugar and cloves. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in apples. Transfer to a greased and floured 9-in. round baking pan. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar, flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount into egg; return all to pan. bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; whisk in butter and vanilla. Serve over warm cake. Sprinkle with ground cloves if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 381 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 125mg cholesterol, 242mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Oct 29, 2012
Way too much cloves. The custard sauce cut the strong flavor a little. No one had more than a small piece. It's also impossible to cut because it falls apart before coming out of the pan.
Oct 1, 2012
thought this was really good. Hubby loved it too. made it yesterday and already want to make another one.
Dec 22, 2010
I have made this cake several times. it is definately a dense cake, but served warm with the sauce on top it is awesome!