Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 large egg yolks, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- In a heavy saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil; cook over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Add a small amount of hot mixture to egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook 2 minutes longer or until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl with the whisk attachment, cream butter until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually beat in cooked sugar mixture. Beat in confectioners' sugar until fluffy, about 5 minutes. If necessary, refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 155 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 118mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 30, 2016
Very buttery, really good flavor. That said, this is not the buttercream to use if you live in a hot, humid climate. I might try it again in the winter
Aug 20, 2015
Was.disappointed in this recipe after all the rave reviews. Was too buttery for my taste. Will not make again.
Jun 14, 2015
I used a lot more powdered sugar than was called for to stiffen up the icing without having to chill it for a long time & also to cover the slightly egg-y flavor. If I make this again, I'd probably reduce the egg yolks to 4. It would still thicken but the icing would be whiter.
Dec 5, 2014
Delicious and addicting. The first time takes a while to learn.
Feb 23, 2013
This frosting was worth the effort. My family loved it!
May 6, 2012
I made this frosting for some cupcakes. The frosting turned out really good. The process kind of long to make it, but it was worth it. I will make it again.