Classic Sweet-and-Sour Chicken
Purchased sweet-and-sour sauce takes the work out of preparing this traditional dish, which tastes very much like the takeout version. “Before we were married, my husband surprised me by cooking this after a long day at work,” recalls Holly Tittel of Great Bend, Kansas.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- Oil for frying
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- SWEET-AND-SOUR SAUCE:
- 2 jars (10 ounces each) sweet-and-sour sauce
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, water, egg, baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper. In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Dip chicken into batter. Fry in oil, a few pieces at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the sweet-and-sour sauce, carrots, green pepper, onion and pineapple. Cover and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve chicken and sauce with rice.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Originally published as Sweet & Sour Chicken in Simple & Delicious March/April 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.