Classic Stuffed Green Peppers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place in ice water; invert onto paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, rice, onion, celery, tomato, garlic, salt and pepper. Spoon into peppers. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine soup and basil; spoon over peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until the beef is no longer pink. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 312 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 27, 2011
This dish was an okay dish. I missed the part that said "cooked rice" so I added uncooked rice. I might give it another try again sometime but it needs alittle more spice.
Nov 5, 2009
I have made this recipe several times. It is my favorite stuffed pepper recipe. It is fast, easy and wonderful. I make extra to take in my lunch the next day.