Classic Stuffed Green Peppers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place in ice water; invert onto paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, rice, onion, celery, tomato, garlic, salt and pepper. Spoon into peppers. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine soup and basil; spoon over peppers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until the beef is no longer pink. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 312 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 836mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 27g protein.
Feb 27, 2011
This dish was an okay dish. I missed the part that said "cooked rice" so I added uncooked rice. I might give it another try again sometime but it needs alittle more spice.
Nov 5, 2009
I have made this recipe several times. It is my favorite stuffed pepper recipe. It is fast, easy and wonderful. I make extra to take in my lunch the next day.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.