- 2 ounces pancetta or bacon, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped ripe olives
- 1 prebaked 12-inch pizza crust
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
- In a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Saute garlic in drippings for 1 minute. Add spinach; cook just until wilted. Drain spinach mixture on paper towels.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until tender; add the pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Transfer to a small bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the mascarpone cheese, olives and pancetta.
- Place crust on an ungreased pizza pan. Spread mushroom mixture over crust; layer with spinach mixture, provolone and Romano.
- Bake at 450° for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 slices.
Reviews forClassic Spinach Pizza
"Wonderful! I made these using four pita breads as crusts since I needed to leave the pepper flakes out of some, and it turned out beautifully. The flavor of the pancetta really seemed to make this extra special."