Classic Red Velvet Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 5-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar, butter flavoring and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth and creamy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 583 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 468mg sodium, 87g carbohydrate (61g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 3, 2017
I thought a chemical reaction of the ingredients of red velvet cake is what turns te batter red... if this is the case why the need for red food coloring in the first placeplace??
Feb 4, 2017
5 star rating
Feb 4, 2017
This is the recipe to make red velvet cake, i have to say after so many years of baking this is a r star rating. Fantastic recipe. Perfect.
Oct 24, 2015
I used this recipe to make red velvet cake balls and they turned out fantastic!
Apr 27, 2015
So very sad, to rate a recipe because you don't like the ingredients. I didn't think that this site was for healthy recipes only. If you don't like the ingredients used, don't make it and don't rate it.
Jun 29, 2014
It was a little dry
May 20, 2012
I made this cake to celebrate a friend's birthday on a "game" night we have often. He said the cake was "awesome". My family and other guests also enjoyed the cake tremendously. Thanks so much for a recipe that I will keep and use again and again.
Aug 12, 2011
Nov 2, 2009
Not very tasty and very dry
May 1, 2008
I use one bottle of red food coloring and then fill the bottle with water and mix this with the cocoa. The paste is then added to the creamed mixter. The cake has the rich red color, but is so moist.Also instead of mixing the vinegar and soda, I fold it into the batter.