- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 5-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the food coloring, vinegar, butter flavoring and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth and creamy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forClassic Red Velvet Cake
"5 star rating"
"I used this recipe to make red velvet cake balls and they turned out fantastic!"
"So very sad, to rate a recipe because you don't like the ingredients. I didn't think that this site was for healthy recipes only. If you don't like the ingredients used, don't make it and don't rate it."
"It was a little dry"
"Not very tasty and very dry"
"I use one bottle of red food coloring and then fill the bottle with water and mix this with the cocoa. The paste is then added to the creamed mixter. The cake has the rich red color, but is so moist.Also instead of mixing the vinegar and soda, I fold it into the batter."
"My red velvet cake calls for using only 1 tsp. of cocoa, made into a paste with the red food coloring. After everything else is mixed, add the vinegar to the baking soda, which will "fizz" then mix in. This comes out much lighter and moist. I also have a Red Velvet Icing that is lighter that my family prefers to the heavier tasting cream cheese. Make a white sauce, boiling 5 tsp. flour with 1 cup of milk & cool. Blend 1/2 cup Crisco, 1/2 cup margarine & gradually blend in 1 cup sugar and pinch of salt. Beat 10 minutes--no less. Add white sauce & 1 tsp vanilla. Fluffy & delicious! Requested for every family dinner."