Classic Red Cabbage
My grandfather was German, so my grandmother prepared many German dishes for him. This is one I like best.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 medium head red cabbage, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the cabbage, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in apples and water; cover and simmer 45 minutes longer or until cabbage and apples are tender.
- Combine vinegar and brown sugar; stir into cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until cabbage and apples are glazed.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 136 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 369mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage in Country Extra March 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.