- 6 pounds dried kidney beans
- 18 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 bay leaves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 2 pounds sliced bacon, diced
- 3 pounds Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Smoked Sausage Rope, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-1/2 pounds cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 medium onions, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 green peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 22 cups hot cooked rice
- Hot pepper sauce, optional
- Sort beans and rinse in cold water. Place beans in stockpots; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and discard liquid. To beans, add 9 qts. water, garlic, bay leaves and browning sauce if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Meanwhile, in large skillets, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. In the drippings, cook the sausage and ham until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add oil to drippings in skillets. Stir in flour until smooth; cook and stir over medium heat until reddish brown, about 12-14 minutes. Add the onions, celery and green peppers; cook and stir until tender. Stir into bean mixture.
- Add the bacon, sausage, ham, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Serve with rice and hot sauce if desired. Yield: 65 servings (about 1 cup beans and 1/3 cup rice).
Reviews forClassic Red Beans and Rice
"I found this recipe years ago in the Taste of Home magazine and it is by far the absolute best red beans and rice I have ever tasted."