- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground allspice, nutmeg and cloves
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Using a fork, stir in oil and butter until dough is crumbly. Gradually add enough water until dough holds together. Roll out between sheets of plastic wrap into an 11-in. circle. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Remove top sheet of plastic wrap; invert pastry into a 9-in. pie plate. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Trim and flute edges. Chill.
- Roll pastry scraps to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 1-in. leaf-shaped cookie cutter. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, egg white, sugars, salt and spices until smooth. Beat in pumpkin. Gradually beat in milk. Pour into pastry shell. Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Garnish with leaf cutouts. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forClassic Pumpkin Pie
"Delicious!! Made this but added a few pecans and family members raved about how good it was. Much much better than recipe from the can."
"We made our own crust, so I can't comment on the one in the recipe. We also used home-grown pumpkin pulp (not canned), which gave it a great pumpkin taste. It disappeared fast!"
"Good pie but I will make my own crust recipe next time."
"My husband was absolutely thrilled when we had this. It tastes just so good, and it's good for you which makes it all that much better."
"Brush the inside of the bottom of the pie crust with beaten egg white before pouring in the pumpkin filling and the crust wont get soggy."