- 1 boneless beef sirloin tip or 1 beef bottom round roast (about 2 pounds)
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup water
- Place meat in an ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven. Add the potatoes, carrots and onion. Sprinkle with pepper. Top with tomatoes. Spread soup over meat. Pour water around vegetables. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Thicken cooking liquid if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews forClassic Pot Roast
"I followed this recipe to the T. When I took the dish out of the oven and lifted the lid, I was sorely disappointed. The soup was still a big grey glob - and the vegetables were bathed in plain old tomato sauce. Big whoop. I just put it back in the oven on 375 degrees - hoping that something edible will come out of it in half an hour. I understand the "low and slow" cooking method, but this recipe is just sub par. Try something else."