Classic Monte Cristo Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 4 slices deli turkey
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple butter
- 1. Spread mustard over one side of each bread slice; top two slices with cheese and turkey. Cover with remaining bread, mustard side down. In a shallow bowl, beat egg substitute and milk. Dip sandwiches in mixture, coating both sides.
- 2. Heat a griddle coated with cooking spray; toast sandwiches until lightly browned on both sides. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve with apple butter. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 332 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 1007mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Classic Monte Cristo
"I had never made a Monte Cristo until today. This was a great classic recipe to base mine off of. I used regular yellow mustard, sour dough bread, deli ham and cheddar cheese. I also dipped it in an egg batter and after toasting it on both sides until golden I sprinkled it with confectioners sugar and served it with red raspberry jam!"