- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, sliced
- Dash paprika
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Cool completely.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, sugar substitute, mustard, salt and pepper. In a large bowl, combine the macaroni, celery, carrot and onion. Add dressing and toss gently to coat. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with egg and paprika. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forClassic Macaroni Salad
"Great recipe! This is reminiscent of my childhood in New York when we'd head to the deli each week to pick up some macaroni salad. I used almost a pound of elbow macaroni so I doubled the dressing. Used regular mayo and sugar and instead of ground mustard, I used regular yellow mustard. We love hard-boiled eggs, so in addition to using them as a garnish, I made a few more and chopped them up into the salad. And since I ran low on sweet relish, I sliced up some sweet gherkins and threw them in too. I loved the added crunch! Next time I may add a little vinegar to thin out the dressing a bit. Will definitely make this again!Volunteer Field Editor"
"Ever since I was a kid, Classic Macaroni salad never had "egg" in it. Plus we did not have "FAT FREE" mayonnaise either."
"I used dill relish, no sugar, and a can of tuna. Great!"
"I think the dried mustard made it a bit too spicy for our tastes."
"It turned out great! Was a big hit with my family ??"
"When I first got the dressing together, I thought it just tasted "meh". But after putting everything together and letting it chill, I was blown away. This tastes just like my grandmother's shrimp macaroni salad (minus the shrimp of course). My husband even loved it too. I caught him literally licking some off his fingers. Delicious."
"Good side dish"
"Fantastic! I'm not even a big fan of pasta salads but I cleaned my plate. We don't care for sweet pickle relish so I substituted a minced hot dill pickle with a splash of the juice."