Classic German Potato Salad Recipe
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon
- 3-1/2 pounds potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced (about 7 cups)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon. In a large bowl, toss bacon with potatoes and onion; set aside. In the drippings, combine flour and sugar. Combine water, vinegar, salt and pepper; stir into skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in cream. Pour over potato mixture; toss gently to coat. Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
1 cup: 467 calories, 34g fat (13g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 723mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Classic German Potato Salad
"I did reduced the amount of sugar by half as I prefer a more savory potato salad, but my family enjoyed it very much."
"This is my favorite German Potatoe salad recipe. The cooked dressing is also great on cooked cabbage. I use the salt and sugar accoring to my taste. A little more salt and sugar till I get it the way I want it. A keeper recipe"
"The recipe is missing a part. When the drippings are reserved, the onion is sauted in them & then combined in a large bowl with the bacon & potatoes."