- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions (about 3 pounds)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup port wine
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese (about 3 ounces)
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil and butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened, 10-13 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 30-40 minutes. Add minced garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add broth, pepper and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Place baguette slices on a baking sheet; brush both sides with remaining oil. Bake until toasted, 3-5 minutes on each side. Rub toasts with halved garlic.
- To serve, place twelve 8-oz. broiler-safe bowls or ramekins on baking sheets. Place one toast in each. Ladle with soup; top with cheese. Broil 4 in. from heat until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forClassic French Onion Soup
"The soup was fantastic. I didn't have port so used red wine. If you didn't try it with the Gruyere cheese, you should. I think it makes a big difference."
"Real French Onion flavor- better than most restaurants! I used red wine instead of port, and did a lot of tasting for my personal tastes. I only used 5-6 onions, which was plenty. I had only Swiss cheese and it was still very, very good. I'll definitely make it again to share with my family."
"I love French onion soup and this was the most delicious recipe for this soup. I used sherry instead pf port wine and it was perfect. I eye balled all the engredients for 5 people and it came out very tasty for my first try. Next time I will use Gruyere cheese instead of Swiss and I'm sure it'll be better than perfect!!! Thank you for sharing your recipe!"
"Perfect! I didn't have Port so I used sherry instead."
"This is a very good French onion soup. Only downside is the 2 hours it takes to make. I used the Cabernet I had on hand rather than the port."
"Delicious soup! Just what I have been looking for. Skipped the port and it was perfect."
"OMG! This is how french onion soup should taste."
"Great soup with great flavor. I have made this once before and am doing it again today. I picked this recipe after searching through a lot of others, this was by far the simplest and least time consuming but the flavor is so rich and deep! The first time I followed all the directions exactly and just didn't care for the port, I thought it over powered. This time I used a favorite wine of mine and it was spot on perfect. Added extra onions, broth, butter, and wine this time so I will have plenty left to can. Thanks for a great recipe."
"Found this recipe to be very good! It was easy to make. I used the Gruyere cheese. Everyone enjoyed it!"