Classic Endive Salad
This pretty salad is a variation of my mother’s old recipe. Bacon makes it hearty, and water chestnuts add crunch. —Penny Hamilton, Granby, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 35 min.
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups torn curly endive
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup salad croutons
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Stir the vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper into drippings; heat through. Keep warm.
- In a salad bowl, combine the endive, tomatoes, onions, water chestnuts, walnuts, croutons and bacon. Pour warm dressing over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with eggs. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 172 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Classic Endive Salad with Homemade Hot Dressing in Country Woman Christmas 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.