Classic Endive Salad
This pretty salad is a variation of my mother’s old recipe. Bacon makes it hearty, and water chestnuts add crunch. —Penny Hamilton, Granby, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 35 min.
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups torn curly endive
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup salad croutons
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. Stir the vinegar, honey, mustard, salt and pepper into drippings; heat through. Keep warm.
- In a salad bowl, combine the endive, tomatoes, onions, water chestnuts, walnuts, croutons and bacon. Pour warm dressing over salad; toss to coat. Sprinkle with eggs. Serve immediately.