Classic Cream Soup Mix
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 5 min.
Makes9 batches (3 cups total)
- 2 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients; cover and process until vegetable flakes are finely chopped. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 9 batches (3 cups total).
- For a condensed cream soup substitute: In a 1-qt. saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/3 cup of soup mix and 1-1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil or microwave on high for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool or chill. Use as a substitute for one 10-3/4-oz. can of condensed cream of chicken, mushroom or celery soup.
- For 1-1/2 cups of cream soup: In a 1-qt. saucepan or microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/3 cup of soup mix and 1-1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil or microwave on high for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with an 850-watt microwave.
This recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Apr 5, 2010
Great to have on hand. Makes a quick sauce, gravy or thickner. I keep it on hand at all times. Seasoning or flavor can be changed to suit.
Apr 17, 2009
I found this recipe several years ago in TOH's archives. There's a similar one there too. Excellent way to cheat Big Business Foodjunk out of the trash put in those cans!
Apr 17, 2009
what a great idea...and great tasting too
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.