Classic Chocolate Frosting
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + cooling
- 1-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a saucepan, combine confectioners' sugar and cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate until melted and smooth. Stir in vanilla. Cool until mixture is thickened, about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, cream butter. Gradually beat in chocolate mixture until blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Nutrition Facts1 tablespoon: 90 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Feb 25, 2016
Made a great light chocolate buttercream frosting! This is the same basic frosting my mom frequently used. Milk can be adjusted to be thick enough for piping frosting onto cake. Recommend adding milk slowly. As a volunteer food editor with Taste of Home I enjoy using recipes that use classic ingredients with great results.
Oct 30, 2015
I love this frosting. This frosting is fabulous! When I finished with the recipe (made exactly as written) it was runny and I thought I had failed. I needed to use the frosting right then so I placed the frosting in the fridge and made another frosting. The next morning, the frosting was perfect thickness for spreading and the taste was wonderful. I will make this over and over, however, I will make it a day ahead.I might suggest on this recipe you state, needs to be made ahead.Pamela Brandt, Arcadia, Oklahoma
Apr 6, 2015
I used this recipe for an angel food cake. It was really quick and good.
Feb 17, 2009
this is one of the best tasting chocolate frostings I have ever tasted.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.