- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 2-1/4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a greased deep 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, combine the vegetables, chicken, onions and mushrooms; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and thyme until smooth. Gradually add broth and bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over vegetable mixture.
- Roll out pastry to fit top of dish. Place over filling; trim and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake at 450° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Classic Chicken Pot Pie
"This is a delicious recipe. I sauted cubed chicken with one chopped onion and set that aside. I doubled the white sauce using low sodium chicken broth and skim milk. MIxed the sauce with chicken, onions and vegetables and covered with pie crust. Next time I want to substitue the pie crust with puff pastry. really and easy to make"
"Hubby ate it w/o complaint except when dishing it out, he said, "It doesn't look the same" (as the former CPP.) I halved the recipe, using 10 oz. chicken broth, 1 1/2 tsps. Chicken Better Than Boullion, about 1 1/2 tsps. Trader Joe's Poultry Rub, omitted the 'shrooms & onions, substituted 3T. organic corn starch, and substituted torn pan-toasted 3 Bakers gluten free bread coated with 1/2 cup melted butter. It's is simpler & quicker to create than my former recipe. Sorry this is so long."
"I made this because I could not access my usual recipe box on Taste Of Home tonight. For some reason. I often find the website to be difficult when I use my IPad. I would make more flour butter sauce next time because mine was not too creamy. The store was out of pearl onions today so I used regular onion and it was fine. But overall, my family ate it so that is a success in my book."
"It was really good. I did both the bottom and top crust. Super easy to make too."
"Didn't use pearl onions, red instead, no mushrooms. Delicious. Will be making again!"