- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-in pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 8 green onions, cut into 1-in. lengths
- 2/3 cup lightly salted cashews
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. Stir-fry onions, cashews and garlic in remaining oil for 1 minute.
- Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add beef; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forClassic Cashew Beef
"The sesame really makes the dish! I loved the sauce in this recipe - the soy sauce, sesame oil and cayenne. It was easy to make, light and delicious. My only suggestion is to add a bit more cayenne and fresh ginger for flavor."
"This recipe was such a huge disappointment. After everyone's glowing reviews, I really looked forward to making this. I followed the recipe exactly and the result was a bland, tasteless dish that was a waste of pricey cashews. It tasted nothing like an "authentic" cashew beef. I won't be making this again!"
"Whole family (including kids aged 10, 8, 5, and 2) loved the flavor. I loved the suggested recipe that accompanied (sesame green beans with red peppers) as an alternative to typical stirfry veggies. This has become my new go-to for stirfry."
"An absolute hit! Everyone loves it!"
"Excellent taste!! This recipe is a keeper - my 3 yr old and 6 yr old sons really liked it. We definitely want to eat this again. I made the side that is shown - Sesame Green Beans - which is also a ToH recipe. They were a hit, too!"
"The whole family loved it!"