- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Red paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla; gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half; mix food coloring into one half. Roll each dough into a 6-in. square. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut each dough into 36 squares. Working with a quarter of the dough at a time, keep remaining dough refrigerated. Roll one piece plain dough into a 6-in. rope; roll one piece red dough into a 6-in. rope. Place ropes side by side. Lift left rope over the right; repeat to form a twist. Repeat with remaining dough. Curving top of each twist to form hook of cane, place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews forClassic Candy Cane Butter Cookies
"Cute,Good, but way to time consuming. Wrapped about a dozen then just pressed and cut the rest."