Classic Cabbage Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup V8 juice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water for 10 minutes or until outer leaves are tender; drain. Rinse in cold water; drain. Remove eight large outer leaves (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use); set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute 1 cup onion in butter until tender. Add the tomatoes, garlic, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the rice, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and remaining onion and salt. Crumble beef and sausage over mixture and mix well.
- Remove thick vein from cabbage leaves for easier rolling. Place about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each leaf; fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up leaf to completely enclose filling. Place seam side down in a skillet. Top with the sauce.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour. Add V8 juice if desired. Reduce heat to low; cook 20 minutes longer or until rolls are heated through and a thermometer inserted in the filling reads 160°.
Apr 9, 2018
My cabbage rolls are different, but everyone who has had them want more.I do away with everything but the cabbage and garlic. I add in Arborio rice, ground lamb and stew them in chicken broth. They are served (with a slotted spoon) with sour cream on top.
Nov 16, 2017
This recipe has such great flavor. The Italian stewed tomatoes really make it tasty.
Jun 26, 2017
I love cabbage rolls and my Mom could make the best. This is the closest to my Moms. They're so good!!
Jan 8, 2017
Really delicious, thanks. My new standard recipe. OF COURSE there will be those who say they don't taste like Grandma's. Nothing tastes like Grandma's especially once she is gone because her love was in them. But as a Ukrainian girl, these are really tasty and good. I use wild rice and all beef to switch things up a bit.
Mar 18, 2016
These are truely amazing. First time made as directed, second time i used hot sausage, both were great
Feb 7, 2016
blah :(not so much...
Jan 31, 2016
This is the best cabbage roll recipe that I have tried. Thank you! I used Italian seasoned turkey so very little fat. Served it with a dollop of sour cream on the side in the tomato sauce. Reminded me of meals in Lithuania.
Jan 31, 2016
By far the most amazing cabbage rolls ever, I did add a can of tomato sauce to the sauce, also I cooked them in the oven for an hour at 325
Jan 29, 2016
Here is a prep hint that makes these seem almost effortless. Freeze the entire head of cabbage. Several days before, drain in a colander. The leaves will peel off like petals on a rose.
Jan 11, 2016
Harv614. Finally someone who appreciates a truly classic cabbage roll! You make them as I do. Sauerkraut and tomatoe juice topping is what raises cabbage rolls to a whole new level of flavour?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.