- INGREDIENTS FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE:
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- INGREDIENTS FOR DOUBLE-CRUST PIE:
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed.
- For a single-crust pie: Form into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shell according to recipe directions.
- For a double-crust pie, divide into two portions so one is slightly larger than the other; form each into a disk. Wrap separately in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge of plate. Add filling. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake according to recipe directions. Yield: pastry for one 9-inch pie.
Reviews forClassic Butter Pie Pastry
"I used this to make a gluten free crust. I used cup for cup gluten free flour and it was really good. Cooked up nice and tasted great too. I give credit to the butter. I only made one crust but did notice the mistake for the double crust. I would just double the recipe for the single crust not a big deal."