Classic Bumbleberry Pie
What a delightful ending to any meal! Apple, raspberries and rhubarb work in unison to create this fresh-flavored pie. —Judy Parker, Albuquerque, New Mexico
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and tapioca. Stir in the rhubarb, apple and raspberries; toss gently to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1 in. beyond edge of plate. Spoon filling into crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Cut slits in pastry. Place pastry over filling; trim, seal and flute edges. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 30-35 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 459 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Bumbleberry Pie in Simple & Delicious May 2010