- 4 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Sprinkle steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, brown steaks in 1 tablespoon oil for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and refrigerate until chilled.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining oil until tender. Stir in remaining salt and pepper; cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each puff pastry sheet into a 14x9-1/2-in. rectangle. Cut into two 7-in. squares (use scraps to make decorative cutouts if desired). Place a steak in the center of each square; top with mushroom mixture. Lightly brush pastry edges with water. Bring opposite corners of pastry over steak; pinch seams to seal tightly.
- Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Cut four small slits in top of pastry. Arrange cutouts over top if desired. Brush with egg.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forClassic Beef Wellingtons
"I didn't make it, so I can't rate it fairly, but "classic" or "real" beef Wellington is made with a pate de fois gras."
"Terri—each box of puff pastry has 2 sheets of dough so cut each in half to get. 4,servings"
"Question: The recipe calls for four tenderloins but only two squares of the puff pastry - is the pastry divided in some way?"
"I was really surprised by how easy this was and how well it came out. Definitely a keeper!"
"easy and good"
"This was easy and delicious. The meat was well done, next time I will pan sear a shorter length of time."
"I added garlic and red wine to my mushrooms and onions. It was amazing!! This was easy to make as well. I have always been scared to try to make this but it was one of the best dishes that I have done."
"I made this recipe with elk tenderloin and it was fantastic and easy!! I have so much wild meat that I am always looking for new ways to serve it. 5-Stars. I even used canned mushrooms and it was delicious."