VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 30 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) minced clams
- 8 cups diced onions
- 1-1/2 pounds butter, cubed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 quarts milk
- 3 bunches celery, sliced
- 3 cups minced fresh parsley
- 12 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 pounds shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse clams, reserving juice; set aside. In a two stockpots, saute onions in butter until tender. Add flour; stir to form a smooth paste. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until slightly thickened (do not boil). Add celery, parsley and potatoes and cook until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add clams and cheese; cook until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Add the reserved clam juice, salt and pepper. Yield: 60 servings.
Originally published as Clam Chowder for 60 in Taste of Home October/November 1994, p54