Citrus-Spiced Roast Chicken
I am the designated Thanksgiving host in my family because of my chipotle citrus roast turkey. Even finicky eaters love it. That's why I use the same recipe for chicken, so we can enjoy it year-round. —Robin Haas, Cranston, Rhode Island
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 pounds)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix marmalade, chipotle peppers, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cumin. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from chicken; rub mixture under the skin.
- Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Rub skin with remaining salt. Roast 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, covering with foil halfway through cooking to prevent overbrowning.
- Remove chicken from oven; let stand, loosely covered, 15 minutes before carving. Remove and discard skin before serving.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked chicken (skin removed): 239 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 409mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat.
Originally published as Citrus Spice Roast Chicken in "5" in Healthy Recipes 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.