VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Combine the remaining ingredients; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead gently 5-6 times. Gently pat into two 8-in. circles; transfer to two greased 9-in. round baking pans.
- Cut each circle into eight wedges but do not separate. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 16 scones.
Originally published as Citrus Scones in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p156