My mom always made this salad for Christmas dinner, so it's been a family favorite for many years. I teach special education at the high school level and often incorporate cooking into my lessons. Whenever we make this recipe at school, it's always a hit with the students.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 cup cubed fresh pineapple
- 1 cup fresh orange pieces
- 1 cup fresh tangerine pieces or 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the fruit sour cream, marshmallows and coconut. Cover and refrigerate for several hours. If desired, serve in a lettuce-lined bowl or on individual lettuce-lined plates.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 143 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 34mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Citrus Salad in Country October/November 1993
Feb 7, 2008
Ooh, this is so good that my family members have been known to fight over the last morsel left in the bowl. I often double the recipe and once I even tripled it. It always turns out great.