Citrus-Rosemary Roasted Chicken
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated grapefruit zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 small pink grapefruit, cut into wedges
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 3 fresh marjoram sprigs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle remaining salt and pepper inside cavity; fill with onion and grapefruit wedges.
- With fingers, carefully loosen the skin from both sides of chicken breast. Place rosemary and marjoram sprigs under the skin. Brush chicken with oil; rub with reserved herb mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Let stand for 10-15 minutes. Discard herb sprigs and contents of cavity before slicing.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 592 calories, 36g fat (9g saturated fat), 179mg cholesterol, 370mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 57g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 24, 2015
To be honest, I was a little skeptical about the citrus flavor with the chicken. Sometimes you can easily get a bitter (rind) taste but this did not have that. In fact, the flavor combinations were spot on. Enough spice with just a hint of tangy citrus. I actually cooked this in the slow cooker with fantastic results (6 hours on med-high). It literally fell apart. I think I will add some oranges next time for even more flavor.