Citrus Raspberry Shortcakes
Our Test Kitchenlightly flavored these tender biscuits with orange and almond. They’re the perfect base for a spoonful of fresh raspberries and whipped cream.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine raspberries and sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, orange zest and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream and 1/2 cup butter; stir into dry ingredients until a thick batter forms. Gently stir in pecans.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Cut biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon berries onto bottom halves. Top with whipped cream if desired; replace biscuit tops. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 426 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Citrus Berry Shortcake in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008