Citrus Raspberry Shortcakes
Our Test Kitchenlightly flavored these tender biscuits with orange and almond. They’re the perfect base for a spoonful of fresh raspberries and whipped cream.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a small bowl, combine raspberries and sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, orange zest and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream and 1/2 cup butter; stir into dry ingredients until a thick batter forms. Gently stir in pecans.
- Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased baking sheet. Brush with remaining butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Cut biscuits in half horizontally. Spoon berries onto bottom halves. Top with whipped cream if desired; replace biscuit tops. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 426 calories, 27g fat (15g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Citrus Berry Shortcake in Simple & Delicious May/June 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.