Citrus Meringue Pie
From Pickerington, Ohio, Donna Schweighofer sent the recipe for this pretty meringue pie that stars grapefruit, orange and lemon juice. "I made several changes to lighten up the original recipe," she notes, "This pie has a very fresh citrus flavor and the filling tastes nice and rich."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + chilling
- 3 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon grated grapefruit zest
- 7 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar, water and cream of tartar. Heat over low heat while beating with a portable mixer on low speed for 1 minute, scraping down sides of pan. Continue beating until mixture reaches 160°. Remove from the heat.
- In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool for 1 minute. Whisk into egg white mixture; add vanilla and salt. Beat on high until stiff peaks form. Set meringue aside.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add the grapefruit juice, water, orange juice and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and egg white; gradually stir 1/2 cup hot filling into egg mixture; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in grapefruit zest and food coloring if desired. Pour hot filling into crust.
- Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Broil for 30-60 seconds or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 254 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Citrus Meringue Pie in Light & Tasty February/March 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.