Citrus-Kissed Sweet Potato Cake
I came up with this spiced cake to use up leftover sweet potatoes after Thanksgiving. Cover the grated sweet potatoes with a damp paper towel to prevent discoloration.—Deborah Biggs, Omaha, Nebraska
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-3/4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded peeled sweet potatoes (about 9 ounces)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange or lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon orange or lemon extract
- Orange peel strips
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs and orange zest until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, pie spice and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in sweet potatoes.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar, orange zest, lemon juice and extract until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Decorate with orange peel. Refrigerate leftovers.
Originally published as Citrus-Kissed Sweet Potato Layer Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014