Citrus Herb Turkey
When it came to a roasting turkey, my grandmother had the magic touch: She would wrap a turkey in foil and cook it on low heat for eight hours so it would bake up juicy and tender. This version doesn't take that long, but it's just as good. —Portia Gorman, Los Angeles, California
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 package (1 ounce) fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 package (1 ounce) fresh thyme, divided
- 3/4 cup softened unsalted butter, divided
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 medium orange, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small sweet orange pepper, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a roasting pan with three pieces of heavy-duty foil (pieces should be long enough to cover turkey). Mince half the rosemary and thyme from each package (about 1/4 cup total). In a small bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter and minced herbs until blended. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub butter mixture under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Mix seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle over turkey and inside turkey cavity.
- Cube remaining butter. In a large bowl, combine butter, apple, orange, onion, orange pepper and remaining herb sprigs; spoon inside cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place turkey in prepared pan, breast side up.
- Bring edges of foil over turkey to cover. Roast, covered, 1 hour. Carefully open foil and fold it down. Reduce oven setting to 325°. Roast, uncovered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 20 minutes before carving. Discard fruit mixture from cavity. If desired, skim fat and thicken pan drippings for gravy. Serve with turkey.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked turkey: 434 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 49g protein.
Originally published as Tender Citrus-Herbed Thanksgiving Turkey! in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017