Citrus & Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
This recipe will make you love turkey again. Brining with lemon, rosemary and orange juice makes it so moist and flavorful. It's the star attraction at our table. —Fay Moreland, Wichita Falls, Texas
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 cup kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 medium lemons, quartered
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 8 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 cups cold apple juice
- 2 cups cold orange juice
- 2 large oven roasting bags
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (5 to 6 pounds)
- HERB BUTTER:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- SEASONED SALT BUTTER:
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Add cold juices to brine; cool to room temperature.
- Place one oven roasting bag inside the other. Place turkey breast inside both bags; pour in cooled brine. Seal bags, pressing out as much air as possible, and turn to coat. Place in a roasting pan. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- In a small bowl, beat herb butter ingredients until blended. Remove turkey from brine; rinse and pat dry. Discard brine. Place turkey on a rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from turkey breast; rub herb butter under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks. Refrigerate, covered, 18-24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, mix butter and seasoned salt; brush over outside of turkey. Roast 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 325°. Roast 1-3/4-2-1/4 hours longer or until a thermometer reads 170°. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.) Remove turkey from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked turkey: 411 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 482mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 48g protein.
Originally published as Citrus & Herbed Roasted Turkey Breast in Taste of Home November 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.