Citrus Grilled Turkey Breast
Instead of the usual outdoor barbecue, treat your guests to a sit-down dinner featuring this delicious grilled entree with a luscious herb and citrus gravy. I comes from our Test Kitchen.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Grill: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 1 bone-in turkey breast (5 to 6 pounds)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley sprigs
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 medium orange, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Using fingers, carefully loosen the skin from both sides of turkey breast. In a food processor or blender, combine the parsley, basil, butter, garlic and salt; cover and process until smooth. Spread under turkey skin; arrange lemon and orange slices over herb mixture. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan.
- Place turkey over drip pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a thermometer reads 170°. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour pan drippings into a measuring cup; skim fat. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Add the orange juice, orange zest, lemon zest, pepper and pan drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard the skin, lemon and orange slices from turkey breast. Remove herb mixture from turkey; stir into gravy. Slice turkey and serve with gravy.
Nutrition Facts5 ounce-weight: 203 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 181mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 36g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Citrus Grilled Turkey Breast in Light & Tasty August/September 2002