There are lots of orange and pecan trees here in Arizona, so this recipe is representative of our region. It's one of my favorite desserts. I'm retired and love to cook.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup chopped sectioned oranges (without membrane)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Confectioners' sugar and orange zest, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in molasses. Fold in oranges and pecans. Pour into greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar and garnish with orange zest.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 346 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 406mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Citrus Gingerbread in Country Extra September 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.