Citrus Ginger-Carrot Soup
The bright orange color of this cream soup give festive start to a holiday meal. The carrot, ginger and orange juice blend together to deliver a lovely flavored soup.—Jenn Tidwell, Fair Oaks, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Add the carrots, ginger and pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, orange juice and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until carrots are tender. Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 117 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 546mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Citrus Ginger Carrot Soup with Sour Cream and Cilantro in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.