Citrus Gelatin Salad
With its sunny color and refreshing citrus flavor, this pretty salad is perfect for summer get-togethers. "This is the only gelatin salad my husband really likes," says Cynthia Norris of Winnetka, California.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 drop yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced firm banana
- 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a bowl, combine gelatin and cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Add sugar and boiling water; stir until sugar and gelatin are dissolved. Stir in lemon juice and food coloring if desired; set aside. Layer pineapple, banana and marshmallows in a 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Pour gelatin mixture over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in juices until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Transfer to a bowl; add whipped topping. Beat until blended. Spread over gelatin layer. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until serving. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 132 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit.
Originally published as Citrus Gelatin Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.