Citrus Date Muffins
These cake-like muffins have a nice balance of chewy dates and crunchy pecans. A sweet orange glaze is the perfect complement to the mild-flavored muffin.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- In a small bowl, combine dates and pecans; add 2 tablespoons flour. Toss to coat; set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the baking soda, salt and remaining flour; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in the date mixture (batter will be stiff).
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine glaze ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Spoon over warm muffins.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 299 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Citrus Date Muffins in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.