Citrus Cranberry Pie Recipe
- 3-1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 small navel orange, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Additional sugar
- ORANGE CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Toss together first eight ingredients.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling.
- 3. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Brush lattice with egg; sprinkle with additional sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- 4. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Remove foil; bake until golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 5. Meanwhile, beat whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining ingredients; beat until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until serving. Serve with pie. Yield: 8 servings.
Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches): Mix 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/2 tsp. salt; cut in 1 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 1/3 to 2/3 cup ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
1 piece: 515 calories, 29g fat (15g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 323mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Citrus Cranberry Pie
"The recipe does not give you directions so I continued the top 8 ingredients and put them all in the pie crust.. I did not do anything with the egg... I suppose it was for the egg wash for the crust. I didn't use it.. I baked the pie according to directions. It smelled wonderful coming out of the oven.I will be making this again next year. It was delicious. I loved the tartness with the sweetness and the texture hat he the orange gave to the pie.I did not make the orange whipped cream... I just used a little whipped topping.."
"Made it for Thanksgiving - everyone gave it a 10!"