Cornmeal adds a rustic quality to this delicate dessert flavored with citrus and almond. It’s sure to be a staple in your recipe collection and also makes a great holiday party hostess gift. —Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
Recommended: 35 Treats Quick Enough to Make on a Weeknight
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup lemon yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Coat a 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat the yogurt, honey, oil, egg, egg whites and extract until well blended. Combine the flour, cornmeal and baking powder; gradually beat into yogurt mixture until blended. Stir in orange peel.
- Pour into prepared pan. Arrange oranges over batter; sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Citrus Cornmeal Cake in Healthy Cooking December/January 2011, p33
Reviews forCitrus Cornmeal Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 11, 2011
"This is a wonderful mix of sweet & savory...even my husband liked it!"